Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Simple Lessons From Mud, Sweat, and Tears

“Above all, I feel a quiet pride that for the rest of my days I can look at myself in the mirror and know that once upon a time I was good enough. Good enough to call myself a member of the SAS. Some things don’t have a price tag.” -Bear Grylls, Mud, Sweat, Tears 

Bear Gryll's autobiography Mud, Sweat, and Tears has had a profound affect on me and my pursuit of an adventurous life.  He writes not as a far off Hollywood TV star, but as a humble man who's found himself on many of life's mountain faces and has refused to give up the push to the top.

He's more than a man running a muck and eating strange delicacies on prime time, he has scaled Everest, was selected for the prestigious British SAS, and broken numerous world records.  Call it what you like for his TV appearances, but the man is tough as nails.

In sync with the above quote, what makes Grylls wildly entertaining and personable is his quiet self-confidence and genuine humble enthusiasm.  More than all of the money or possessions in the world, to feel content with one's life, that is a profound gift and something that can never be taken from you.

The lessons learned are better said in his own words.

On Fame and Money: 

“Time and experience have taught me that fame and money very rarely go to the worthy, by the way - hence we shouldn't ever be too impressed by either of those impostors. Value folk for who they are, how they live and what they give - that's a much better benchmark.” 

On Possessions: 

"I love the quote she once gave me: “When supply seems to have dried up, look around you quickly for something to give away.” It is a law of the universe: to get good things you must first give away good things. (And of course this applies to love and friendship, as well.)” 

On Life: 

“Aim to live a wild, generous, full, exciting life—blessing those around you and seeing the good in all.” 


I get the impression that Grylls views life as being very simple when all of the distractions are gone, that's something every minimalist can enjoy.


Read about Bear Gryll's show The Island and some of the simple living and life lessons on the show.
-

No comments:

Post a Comment